Your skills and talents
Our competitive edge as a leading investment management firm is our people. Our schemes are designed to develop individuals who can establish themselves as key members of our investment business, who will play a crucial role in ensuring that we are able to capitalise on the strength of our investment capability. You can expect real responsibility and recognition from day one.
You will have strong numeracy skills, the ability to think both analytically and critically about problems, and a curious and driven approach to your work.
About the schemes
The Investment Graduate Scheme will last between 12 and 18 months, involving a series of 10 week rotations in our investment teams. You will experience between 5 and 7 rotations over the duration of the programme, where you will develop an understanding of our varied products, investment strategies and teams. Towards the end of the scheme we will work with you to find a permanent role and team that suits your strengths and interests.
The Investment Internship will last 8 weeks in one of our investment teams. You will be placed in a team that suits the skill set identified during the recruitment process, with some consideration to your specific interests. Whilst on the scheme, you will be exposed to a number of investment areas outside of your immediate team, through training and networking opportunities, in order to provide a broad understanding of our overall investment activities. Throughout the scheme you will be assessed with a view to making Graduate Scheme offers upon completion of your studies the following year.
We are looking for candidates with a curious and driven approach to their work and an ability to think both analytically and critically about problems. You will show a genuine interest in understanding how investments are made and be comfortable working with numbers. It is important that our investment graduates are self-motivated and able to build and maintain relationships and work effectively as part of a team. You will also be able to demonstrate that you have independent thought and your own opinions on topics, as well as excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Trainees who join our investment scheme could be placed in the following business areas:
- Fixed Income - Fixed Income manages assets on behalf of Internal and Institutional clients, utilising our extensive credit research capabilities and experienced portfolio managers to deliver strong investment performance.
- Equities - Our Equities business manages assets on behalf of Internal and Retail clients, focussed on delivering superior investment performance to our clients. We do this by offering a diverse range of investment strategies across a wide array of geographies. The different strategies adopted by individual fund managers include value, growth, income, smaller company and convertible bond investing, across geographies as specialist as the UK and as wide ranging as the globe.
- Macro Investment Business - The Multi-Asset team is responsible for managing six retail funds, as well as a Cayman based hedge fund and segregated accounts. The seven strong investment team sit and work closely together - with many having worked together for over ten years, and share a philosophy on markets that is grounded in valuation and behavioural finance.
- Prudential Portfolio Management Group - PPMG is responsible for management and oversight of our parent company, Prudential’s assets. PPMG works closely with the various asset management businesses within the Prudential Group, and other external managers, to structure multi-asset portfolios aligned with the investment objectives of the Prudential.
- Prudential Capital - PruCap manages Prudential Group’s balance sheet for profit. PruCap achieves this by providing treasury services to the Prudential Group and by realising profitable investment opportunities within wholesale and capital markets, within a tightly controlled risk-framework.
You will be involved in a variety of tasks focussed on investment analysis. You will benefit from participating in work where you can make a genuine contribution to the team with an opportunity to convey your own views and ideas. The nature of the work will vary dependent on the business area and team that you are placed.
Work that previous graduates and interns have been involved in includes:
- Performing credit, company and market analysis
- Modelling credit ratings
- Sourcing sector and stock specific ideas for funds
- Writing research and presenting the findings
- Providing transactional support to senior team members
- Developing investment analysis
Training and development
Throughout the Investment Graduate Scheme you are given comprehensive training and a vast support network; this includes a four-week asset-management introductory programme, a buddy from a previous cohort and an optional mentor. All graduates complete their induction by obtaining the Investment Management Certificate (IMC) and will then begin supported study towards a further professional qualification, the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) qualification. All graduates on the Investment Scheme will have training on how to conduct credit analysis.
You will receive regular feedback through rotation appraisals and also a psychometrics review, allowing you to continue to develop throughout the programme. Graduates are also able to make the most of the in-house training opportunities available.
Once off the scheme your development will continue to be supported through the Learning & Talent Development Team.
All Investment Interns will take part in a training programme which includes insights sessions on asset management and the M&G business units. These are designed to be suitable for those without industry knowledge, and will provide an understanding of the whole spectrum of business areas within M&G. You will also attend business info sessions relating specifically to the investment teams at M&G, these informal small group sessions give you the opportunity to discuss teams and roles in more depth.
Interns are also invited to networking and social events, and provided with a buddy from our graduate cohort who will act as an informal support contact.